IF YOU ATTENDED KILMER ELEMENTARY
SCHOOL BETWEEN 1958-1966, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO ANSWER THESE
QUESTIONS: (ANSWERS ARE AT BOTTOM OF PAGE - TRY TO ANSWER
THEM ALL FIRST)
1. IN THE FALL OF 1962, A WRITING IMPLEMENT SWEPT THE SCHOOL AND BECAME
PART OF POP CULTURE. EVERYONE HAD ONE AND WAS FASCINATED BY ALL THE
THINGS YOU COULD DO WITH IT LIKE TAKE IT APART. WHAT WAS IT AND HOW
MUCH DID IT COST?
2. THIS SWEET DELICACY BECAME THE SALES OBJECT OF AN ANNUAL
FUND-RAISING CAMPAIGN. AND THE BOY WHO SOLD THE MOST (TO
HIMSELF--SAME WINNER EVERY YEAR) BECAME THE KING. WHAT WAS SOLD?
3. WHO PLAYED THE PIANO AT EVERY ASSEMBLY AND THE STAR SPANGLED
BANNER IN HIS CLASSROOM EVERY DAY?
4. THIS PRIMARY TEACHER WOULD HAVE MADE A GREAT NAZI. YOU DIDN'T DARE
EVEN SLOUCH IN YOUR DESK.
5. EVERY BOY IN THE SCHOOL DREAMED ABOUT PULLING THE HANDLE ON THIS OBJECT DURING HIS
TIME AT KILMER. NOBODY DID BECAUSE THE RUMORS WERE: a. IT WOULD TAKE YOUR
b. IT WOULD PLACE AN EASILY TRACEABLE DUST ON YOUR HANDS.
6. A SPECIAL 5th GRADE ROOM, room 102, WAS LOCATED RIGHT ACROSS FROM THE
OFFICE (the others were upstairs). WHY WAS THIS ROOM SPECIAL? AND WHAT WAS IT
7. WHEN MR. BENSON WAS ABSENT, A SENIOR-CITIZEN GYM TEACHER WOULD
TAKE HIS PLACE. HE WAS A VERY NICE MAN AND LOVED TO WEAR REALLY HUGE
WHITE GYM SHOES. WHAT WAS HIS NAME?
8. THE GIRLS PLAYED ON WHICH PART OF THE PLAYGROUND?
THE BOYS PLAYED ON WHICH PART OF THE PLAYGROUND?
9. IN WHICH SUMMER DID THE "NEW" PART OF THE BUILDING GO UP WHERE THE 8TH
GRADE ROOMS WOULD BE?
10. THIS TEACHER SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON THE “ADDAMS FAMILY” OR ANSWERING THE DOOR AT THE
HOUSE NEAR PRATT BLVD THAT EVERYBODY SAYS WAS A “WITCHES HOUSE.” SHE WAS KNOWN FOR
NOT HAVING HER HAIR DONE QUITE RIGHT AND SOMETIMES SHE WAS SEEN WITH IT DONE UP IN
PURPLE—VERY MUCH AHEAD OF ITS TIME. WHO WAS SHE?
1. Bic Pen with see through plastic. It cost 19 cents.
2. Taffy Apples
3. David Weinberg
4. Mrs. Mollan
5. Fire Alarm
6. The "Buzzer" Room. The office would push a button and a buzzer would go off in the classroom.
Students would take turns delivering messages from the office around the school.
If you think about it, it was a brilliant way to save money and not hire a teacher's aide.
7. Mr. Bevins
8. Girls played on black top. Boys played on gravel area.
9. Extension went up in the summer of 1965.
10. Miss Drain. I can hear Lisa Simpson going "oooooooohhhh creeepppyyy"
|Eliot and Jeff return to sit on the same
bench in Mrs. Caird's office where they
spent much time in the mid-60's.
|I BELIEVE THIS WOULD BE 2ND
GRADE, FALL OF 1960.
NEIL/ELIOT, BRAD, ???, CARL